Mark Twain

Mark Twain

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Going to Kars Tonight

Yesterday I went to Anıtkabir, the mausoleum of Atatürk.  It sits up on a hill overlooking Ankara.  There is a bus that takes visitors uphill from the entrance.  When you arrive, there is a long walkway that lined with stone lions that goes up to the ceremonial plaza.  To the left is the actual mausoleum, where Atatürk is buried under the stone floor.  It is austere but impressive - a very worthwhile visit.

The Road of Lions

One of the lions

Some of the stone work

The view of Ankara

Atatürk's personal Cadillac

One of the guards

Stone work to the right of the mausoleum

The mausoleum
Later in the day I went to the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations.  Unfortunately, part of it is closed for renovation.  It has artifacts from the bronze age up though the Ottoman era.







I've been staying in the Kızılay area in Ankara.  It is always buzzing, with tons of places to eat and drink - though it does seem to shut down earlier than equivalent areas in Istanbul.  When I got here Friday night it looked like there had just been some kind of protest in Kızılay because there were huge numbers of police in riot gear.  Last night also I noticed lots of police out, near a feminist march.




Tonight I am leaving on a 6PM train for Kars.  I get there at about 6:30PM tomorrow.  Since I didn't reserve early enough I am stuck in a couchette instead of the first class sleeping car.  Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment