Mark Twain

Mark Twain

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Brussels Recap

I have now arrived in Cologne, after having been in Brussels for the past two days.  I stayed in a room in a huge, and very nice, apartment with great hosts.  My room was all the way towards the back of the apartment, so we were not in each other's way at all.  As soon as I arrived I did laundry - something I am going to need to do again tomorrow when I arrive in Ljubljana.

The view from  my room


The neighborhood where I stayed is near the Gare du Midi station at the southern end of Brussels city center, about a 15 - 20 minute walk from the center of Brussels (and also near a Metro line that goes directly to the city center, though I only used it once).  The apartment is in a nice street.  When I walked to the city center from there, I would pass through a neighborhood closer to the station that is mainly an immigrant community with lots of people from Middle Eastern and African countries.  There are lots of cafes where Arab men were sitting around talking and drinking mint tea.

Brussels has a reputation of being a dull city, but I don't find it that way at all.  To start with, the Grand Place is stunning.  It has lots of cosy little cafes and bars.  The food is okay.  I had some good, and inexpensive, Vietnamese the first night I was there.  It's not Paris but it is charming.

Grand Place, Brussels

Grand Place

Grand Place

Grand Place
Some meringues and other stuff in one of the many candy stores.
Neuhaus - the best.
A store I saw that sells just honey.
This was in one of the grubbier areas I walked through.  I think it looks like it has braces.

Grand Place.

Grand Place.

Grand Place.

Grand Place.
The Mort Subite - there is a brand of beer that takes its name from this place.

I like how, when you order coffee in Belgium, they bring you a little biscuit with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment